Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Mrs. Laird would be so proud

Mrs. Laird was my home-ec teacher, and yes, back in the days when it was still called home-ec. I was even a member of FHA -- Future Homemakers of America. I can't remember doing anything with this organization. I think it existed to give those of us who weren't Future Farmers of America something to do. I remember taking a couple of home-ec classes and they always included sewing. I hated sewing in school. Part of the problem was I picked out a pattern that was way too complicated for a beginning sewer. Patterns that included collars and buttonholes and zippers -- too much and of course I was frustrated, and of course it didn't really turn out. I do remember my mother telling me if I made it I had to wear it.

Today, I do like to sew. When I was first married I inherited Tom's grandma's sewing machine. It was old, but it sewed a straight line and that was all I needed. I started sewing again when I was pregnant with Q. Made a quilt for his crib, curtains and crib ruffle. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. After he was born I played around with bibs and gave several away as gifts. I took a few quilting classes and the next quilt I made for Miss C was much more complicated.


I bought a new to me machine about six years ago. It is a Pfaff Tiptronic 2020 and I bought it on ebay. It has been a great machine and I just had it tuned up and a short in the cord fixed and I'm thrilled to have it back.


And believe it or not, Mrs. Laird, I'm starting to make clothes! I found this easy-peasy smocked fabric at Wal-mart and it basically just needed one seam to make a dress. Miss C wanted a shirt instead of a dress, so I just made it shorter and then took some extra fabric and added it to the bottom of a pair of cut-off jeans so it would be an outfit. They had some adult length fabric at Walmart and I think I may be going back to get some for myself.




No comments: