Sunday, May 27, 2007

The God of Animals

I just finished reading The God of Animals by Aryn Kyle. Great book. Fabulous book. It didn't take long to read and was about horses. I was a rider when I was a kid and even worked later at a horse camp and rode horses for four hours every day. So it was great to read about the horses, without having them romantized or idealized. In fact, the horses weren't really much of a character in the book, like horses sometimes are in novels. The novel was about Alice Winston, who is left alone after her sister, Nona runs away with her rodeo boyfriend. Alice's dad, Jerry has a horse barn and gives lessons and eventually takes on a few boarders to help pay the bills.

It is a quick read, but definately not a fluff novel. The writing is superb and I caught myself stopping and re-reading passages to admire the writing. If you haven't read this yet, be sure to pick it up at the library.

No comments: